Whilst many of us around Australia and the world are adjusting to wearing a mask as part of their every day routine, it is important that you help your skin adjust to wearing it as well. While masks do an exceptional job of keeping the germs away from others, they also come with moisture and warm temperatures which can irritate your skin in a way it isn’t used to.
Here are five 5 tips from our therapists on caring for your skin whilst wearing a face mask regularly.
- Keep your skin clean by cleansing morning and evening. This could be a gentle cleanse using our Micellar Water in the morning or a deep cleanse in the evening to remove any makeup, oils and pollutants from your skin.
- Stay on top of your skin hydration levels by continuing to moisturise your entire face and neck area with both serum and face cream, keep your lips hydrated with a thin layer of lip balm. Choose absorbent products that are deeply nourishing.
- Prevent mask related breakouts by giving yourself a mini cleansing facial once a week. A mini cleansing facial involves a gentle exfoliation followed by a detoxifying face masque. If needed apply a gentle non drying spot treatment to any blemishes to aid in the healing process.
- Avoid causing sensitivity or irritation by choosing a well fitted and comfortable mask. To calm inflamed skin when safe to do so remove your mask and mist your skin with a soothing and hydrating Hydrosol mist.
- When cleaning your reusable mask add a few drops of antimicrobial essential oil to natural fabric soap, such as lavender, eucalyptus or tea tree essential oil. This removes any dirt and bacteria that may be in contact with your skin.